Sunday, October 20, 2013

Holding my head above dark waters

The second half of 2013 has been possibly the hardest, emotionally wrecking time of my life. It feels like I have aged years in only a couple of months. It was brutal times for someone who put her life and youth in the service of helping animals and reducing humanely the homeless animal overpopulation through sterilizations and education.

In June 2013 we had the June Ploiesti Siege on homeless animals; with hundreds of animals poisoned through the nights, or simply vanished without a trace from their neighborhoods. Even worse, not even the smallest selection whatsoever. Big or small, puppies or old adults, sterilized or not, friendly or fearful, they had the same fate.

Then September struck with the most unhappy incident of a 4-year old unsupervised toddler killed by dogs in Bucharest. Dark was only growing darker. The mass dog cull law passed, giving green light to the most atrocious acts of cruelty against animals. Countless animals from Ploiesti and all over Romania have been captured and taken to public shelters to be put to sleep after 14 days, in case no one showed up to adopt them... In reality... very many dogs were killed instantly, God knows through what methods, not even making it alive to the shelter after capture. With public shelters full of skinny dogs that don't even get fed properly since shelters know those dogs are doomed to die anyway... and authorities doing absolutely nothing to address prevention of ongoing abandonment of new dogs and pups into the streets, I can only ask myself how mad this world has become.

Yes, the last few months have been emotionally wrecking and draining for me. And also unbelievably busy, busier than ever. A typical day involved me being active from morning till as late as 9 pm, organizing and attending sterilization days, caring for the animals at our little puppy center, being at the vet clinics with animals in need. More than ever, animals needed us. Updating the blog fell way behind, with no time nor energy left for me at the end of a day's work.

But a group of unbelievably good friends helped keep my head above such dark waters. I cannot thank enough the friends and sponsors of Dog's Wish, HondenBrokkenMakers, Stumme Schreie eV, and an incredible group of friends who sacrificed a lot and made wonders trying to help us here. They have raised and transported aid to us here, they flew to Romania to help us here and fly out with dogs into safety, they opened their hearts and homes to our rescue dogs, they sponsored even more sterilizations and veterinary costs of animals in need, and most importantly, were great friends who cared to say a comforting word in gloomy times.

And then there was Panda. A child of the revolution, a puppy rescued in June by me during the June Ploiesti Siege, my moral support and an ongoing reason to laugh for me. Now a teenager happily adopted in Holland, the imagine of Panda as a baby will always stay dear to my soul, for it was an incredible emotional buffer during highly challenging times:


Dear friends and Panda baby, I cannot thank you enough for all you have done for us here. You've held my head above dark waters and helped me keep going. This one is from the heart, for you!


4 comments:

  1. Pe mine ma emotioneaza cand vad ca mai exista si oameni ca tine, oameni carora le mai pasa si care vad altfel problema sufletelelor astora chinuite. Iar pentru asta iti multumesc din suflet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You were not alone, trust me. Candles lit all day long at home, even at nights. In agony. And fear. And anger. You were not alone. Even if I did not adopt any of your poor creatures. I can NOT imagine what you have been living these past few months. None of us can, it would be a lie if we claim that we did. The only thing I can do with my horribly LIMITED power, is to send you all my thoughts and my prayers. And may this nightmare come to an end soon, if not right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My sweet dog, Alfie, was rescued from Romania and I thank you from the bottom of my heart for all that you are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maby you can send some money.. That would people help!!!! I did.... WOULD YOU???????

    ReplyDelete